Monday 1 October 2018

Adding Colour to Graceful Glass Designer Vellum

A few thoughts went through my head before I began - should I use markers or blends, and which side should I colour on?
I tried both.  I found that for me there was little difference with straight colouring using either blends or markers.  Blending light and dark colours for shading was challenging. I tried blending with both markers and blends.  You could blend the markers provided the ink was wet and in small areas. Really I just wriggled my marker, darker over light, so that it wasn't a solid line.  I am referring to the purple flowers which you may not even notice the shading as it is such a small area. I tried blending shades with my blenders.  I had some success with the pink flowers but ended up with a little wet mess trying to shade around the outside of the flowers.  This led me to think that plain colouring looks just as good. 
I coloured on the printed side of vellum.  The print is a little raised, so colouring inside was easier.  If you turn it over to colour, the colour is duller or muted and it is harder to stay inside the lines.  I double matted both of the pieces to bring out the colours. The stained window was matted on whisper white cardstock and the bookmark was adhered with glue dots  on a matching purple shade, before mounting onto black cardstock. 
If you didn't work it out, I used markers on the bookmark and blenders on the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment