Friday 22 July 2016

Quilt Cards - Using Up What's on the Shelf!

More often and not we focus on what's 'new', but for the last week or two I have been looking at what I have and haven't got around to.  I played around with making some quilt designs and creative card folds.  My intent was to also to clear or use up craft supplies that having been sitting awhile on my shelf.
I always find creative folds challenging.  I always seem to have to modify the card size or not have the pattern  and so it  ends up in a 'trial and error' task.  I  do like a challenge!
I will share some of these creative folds in future projects.
Today I have two quilt cards. Both easy to make! The first a simple basic square pattern, the second  a little more intricate known as 'Cathedral Window'.  In both double sided DSP was used.  Choosing the pattern design took a little time. I found less busy or small designs worked best.  

Basic Square  Quilt Design

Punch or cut - First DSP  - 2 x 1" squares
                        Second DSP  - 2 x 1" squares. Then cut each in half to make 4 triangles.
                        Third DSP - 2 x 1" squares. Then cut each in half to make 4 triangles.
Adhere squares and triangle onto quilt base measuring 2 3/4 x 2 3/4. Choose a co-ordinating colour as two squares show through.
Optional - emboss with an embossing folder
Layer up on cardstock, add Candy Dots, adhere to card base, attach ruched up ribbon border, and complete with sentiment.








Cathedral Window
Punch or cut a 1" square from thick card.
Punch out 9 circles using a 2" circle punch from DSP.
To fold - place square cutout in middle of circle and fold sides in. Repeat with each circle.
Assemble - adhere to a 3 1/4" base, layer up, adhere to card base, add Candy Dots, attach ribbon tied with Linen Thread and complete with sentiment.




No comments:

Post a Comment